Thursday, November 3, 2016

Love's Faithful Promise

Love's Faithful Promise
Courage to Dream #3
Susan Anne Mason
28561662
Deirdre is a medical student on her way to becoming a doctor when her mother's stroke takes her home. Her dad hates to ask her to leave school, but Deirdre is the best person in the family to take care of her mother. When a family friend hears about the stroke he recommends a Dr. Clayborne who has experienced great results in his work with paralyzed patients. After working for years with war veterans he hopes to expand his practice to include stroke victims. Deirdre just needs to convince him that leaving the country and his practice for a short time to help her mother is the right choice.

This book had pros and cons for me. The pros were the double story line. I thought having the small story of the main characters brother added depth and an interesting element. I actually liked the story line for that one better than the main one. I also liked the visual that the author created for the reader. She did a great job of making the story come alive, scenery wise, without bogging the reader down with too many unneeded details. All of the characters seemed well developed and had depth.
The cons for me was the flat places in the plot, the extensive drama and angst that the main characters kept going through repeatedly, and the weak spots that occasionally appeared in what I considered the "faith element" of the story. I often felt like I was reading a regular novel instead of a Christian one.
Overall, this was an interesting story and won't stop me from picking up another book by this author, but it wasn't a favorite.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: