Saturday, September 2, 2017

The Sweet Smell of Magnolias

The Sweet Smell of Magnolias and Memories
Celeste Fletcher McHale
30649391
Jacey and Colin are caught in a storm with epic flooding. They spend several days stuck on a roof together, along with a mother of four little boys. As they are rescued, Jacey and Colin become separated. Now Jacey is missing pieces of her memory due to a horrible accident. But she's never stopped remembering Colin and those intense moments they shared while on that roof a year ago. She just doesn't expect to find him standing in for the minister at her friend's wedding. 

This was an unusual plot. It had some twists that I wasn't expecting and yet ended a lot like what I expected. As the title implies, this is a sweet, romantic southern story that meanders through like a hot and humid afternoon spend under the trees sipping lemonade. The author did a good job of creating drama and tension, while still supplying romance between the couple. The best friend was hilarious and the other secondary characters were well fleshed out and added depth to the story. I definitely wouldn't classify this as Christian or even Inspirational fiction based on content. I've read "non-Christian" books with more emphasis on God and faith. But it was, for the most part, clean with only a few references or things implied. I prefer a little more depth to my romance and am not a fan of so much angst. But readers who enjoy slow, southern style reads with lots of drama and angst will really enjoy this book. While not my typical genre, I did enjoy reading it and am willing to try another book by this author.

I received a copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers. All thoughts expressed are my own.

No comments: