Friday, November 17, 2017

The Austen Escape

The Austen Escape
Katherine Reay
34460584
Mary likes her life all wrapped up neatly and orderly. She works for an amazing engineering firm, although recently work hasn't been great. She has a good relationship with her dad and loves helping him with his business. But when he puts pressure on her to accept a trip from her estranged child hood friend, she isn't feeling very grateful. Once on the trip, life takes some turns that Mary never expected. She learns to open up and let go, things that haven't been a part of her in the past.

This novel has 3 main characters that play a huge part in the story. But the secondary characters are just as strong and really add to the depth. This was what I'd call a thinking book. It has a great plot that didn't go where I expected it, and some amazing lines. The characters were authentic and deep. But the best part for me was the emotional and mental changes the author took the character Mary through in her journey back in time as she experienced the trip with her friend. While the romance isn't strong and it took me a while to get the chemistry between both couples, it really wasn't a huge part of the story for me, so I wasn't disappointed. I finished the book liking it way more than when I was about half way through. There is something captivating about it that I just can't put into words. If you are a fan of Austen or love contemporary stories with unusual plots than you'll love this book.

I received a copy of this book. All thoughts expressed are my own.

No comments: