Thursday, August 3, 2017

Base Camp Las Vegas

Base Camp Las Vegas
101 Hikes in the SouthWest
Deborah Wall
33199514
 Las Vegas is the best starting place to explore the south west and all it has to offer to the hiker enthusiast. Use Vegas as your base camp and hike on trails that will take your breath away and show you the beauty of nature and the wonders of history. The author begins by giving some instructions and insights into hiking. There are lots of things that could be dangerous if not handled properly. The rest of the book is divided up into sections such as Red Rock Canyon, where multiple hikes can take place. The author goes into detail about the area. There are maps, things to take into account when hiking those specific trails, and lots of gorgeous color photos. She mentions things like flash flood areas, which ones are more strenuous, and weather conditions that might affect the hike.

I enjoyed reading through the book and recognizing several of the places I've hiked in the past. The author did a great job of being informative, without dry and boring. I found myself wishing I'd had the book a few months earlier when I was hiking on some of these trails. There were several places that I noticed had more hiking trails in the park or area that weren't mentioned. But considering the thickness of the book, would have probably made it overly large and cumbersome. Overall, it was a wonderful book that I intend to add to my travel collection to use the next time I'm in the area.

I received a copy of this book from Smith Publicity. All thoughts expressed are my own.

No comments: