Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Ties That Bind Us

Ties That Bind Us: A Collection of Vermont Short Stories
Stephen Russell Payne
32758954
These are all short stories that have Vermont as it's location, but for the most part do not connect otherwise. Each story shows a side of native Vermont that might not be known to an "outsider".

Since I'd just returned from an extensive trip in Vermont, I was really looking forward to reading this book. Each story was well written and left the reader with something to think about. I enjoyed reading the book, but had a minor issue with the theme. Each story had a death or impeding death at the base or heart of the plot. This lead to an overall depressing and dark slant to the book. I wish that the author had included some more light hearted or encouraging stories, as I'm sure that not all Vermonters are this dark. But this may simply be this author's writing style. Overall, an interesting and well written book with a darker theme.

I received a copy of this book. All thoughts expressed are my own.

No comments: