Tuesday, January 3, 2017

His Substitute Wife

His Substitute Wife
Stand-In Brides #1
Dorothy Clark
30646397
Linda and Aubrey are sisters, but they couldn't be more different. Blake met the two sisters and proposed to Linda, whom he'd fallen in love with. But once he's gone, Linda loses interest and Aubrey continues writing to him, but signs the letters as Linda. When Linda runs off to marry another man, Aubrey goes to meet Blake as his substitute wife so he doesn't lose his business. But Blake is still in love with Linda, so things got off to a very rocky start.

I love historical fiction and mail-order bride type plots. So I was really looking forward to this story. The settings were wonderful and really captured my attention. Aubrey was a character with depth. But the rest of the characters really fell flat for me. In fact, I didn't care for Blake at all. He seemed weak to me. The angst and drama involved in the misunderstanding was more than I like in a story. And a few things didn't really ring true for the time period. Overall, it was a nice story if you enjoy marriages of convenience, history, and lots of emotional angst in your story. It just wasn't for me.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: