Friday, December 2, 2011

Room

Room
Emma Donoghue

Jack's entire life consists of Room, his mother and the things that Room holds. He's just had his fifth birthday and is learning that there is a world out there that he didn't know existed.

This is one of the best books that I've read in a long time. Considering the amount of books I read weekly that is really saying something. The story felt so real and the characters really jumped out.
I felt the pains, joys and stresses of the two main characters.
The story is written from the viewpoint of the five year old and this keeps the story from being too dark, which I appreciated as a mother of a five year old boy.

Some of the people in my book club complained about it not being realistic in a couple of places. I guess I didn't notice until it was pointed out. But even once I noticed it just didn't seem to matter. It IS fiction and the story moved so quickly, especially in the beginning, that I didn't pay much attention to the tiny details.

This book is a wonderful book for book clubs, individuals and parents. It makes you appreciate the blessings in your life without being depressed.

No comments: