Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Amira Can Catch!

Amira Can Catch!
Kevin Christofora
35341848
Amira arrives in an American classroom as a refugee from Syria. Her classmates learn about life in a refugee camp and Amira learns about her new home in the US. The readers will learn all about baseball as they follow Amira and her classmates to the ball field for a practice session. Sprinkled throughout the book are facts about baseball history, American history, and vocabulary words.

My children weren't really in to this book. So after they finished reading it, I checked it out and asked them why. The book is some serious need of editing. I found several errors. The kids weren't fond of the illustrations and I agree with them. The author has a great concept, but it was a bit stilted in the execution. With some serious editing and a punch up of the illustrations, I think the book could have some serious potential. Parents and teachers will appreciate the bits of history and baseball knowledge.

I received a copy of this book from At Large Publicity. All thoughts expressed are my own.

No comments: