Sunday, May 5, 2013

Yellow Crocus

Yellow Crocus
Laila Ibrahim

Just moments after being born, baby Lisbeth is dumped into Mattie's arms to be cared for. Mattie, a slave and a wet nurse, is forced to leave her own son at home to care for the plantation owner's daughter. Lisbeth forms a deep bond with her Mattie. So when Mattie is sent back to work in the fields a very conflicted Lisbeth must learn that Mattie isn't a really a human being and she must shun all personal contact with the slaves.

I was surprised at how much I liked this book. I'm a bit of a wimp and shy away from things that I know will be sad or hard to stomach. But the author did a great job of relating the emotions and horrors of that time period without turning me off from the story. Without giving anything away, I loved the ending. It ended up more realistic than syrupy sweet. And while I would have enjoyed a happy ever after ending, I felt this one portrayed more realistically what might have happened. Great job from a first time author. I look forward to reading her next book.

No comments: