Monday, January 30, 2017

Equality

The Story of Rosa Parks
Patricia A. Pingry
1561214

The Story of Martin Luther King Jr.
Johnny Ray Moore
27070436
Black history month starts in a couple of days. As a parent, I want to share history with my young children and introduce the concept and stories, but they are a bit too young to share some of the harsher details that went with the time period. These two books have mastered this beautifully.

The two books cover the stories of two prominent leaders in the equality movement. They begin with a tiny bit of their past and then talk about why they were so important. Both authors brought the importance of their work or their issues to the front so that the young child can understand how amazing these people were without the negative things that accompanied the fight for freedom. The illustrations were adorable and are very relatable to the target age of toddlers and preschoolers. While these books don't begin to cover what we will eventually tell our children about racism and equality, they are a great starting of point for young toddlers and can open the door to those conversations. I will be gifting the books to my local school after my children are finished with them.

I received a copy of these books from First Look. All thoughts expressed are my own.

No comments: