Sunday, December 23, 2012

Nine Hills to Nambonkaha

Nine Hills to Nambonkaha
Two Years in the Heart of an African Village
Sarah Erdman

Sarah, the author, spends two years as a Peace Corps volunteer trying to educate the people of Nambonkaha on health and medicine. This book is the story of her time spent there and the lives of the friends she made during her stay.

The story was well written and the characters were fun. The book definitely doesn't read as fiction. It's a true account of the life in this African village. This might be why I had such a hard time getting into this book. If it had been told more in story form or had a beginning and end I might not have gotten bogged down. As it was, it was over 300 pages of things the author notices about the village and it's inhabitants. My guess is this would be an amazing book for those who enjoy true stories and history. I just couldn't get into it myself.

No comments: